Camden Catholic is the only Camden Diocesan high school which was founded by a religious order. In 1887 eight Sisters of Mercy formally founded the school, assisted by the Holy Cross Brothers from Notre Dame (the Sisters taught the girls and the Brothers taught the boys).
In 1892 the Brothers were recalled to the University of Notre Dame and the Sisters of Mercy stayed-on as leaders of CCHS. Their charism of mercy remains a strong part of the institution as our students continue to be educated in this tradition over 130 years later.
As directed by the founder of the Sisters of Mercy, Mother Catherine McAuley, Camden Catholic continues to educate students of all economic and cultural backgrounds.