Christian Service Program Director: Mrs. Jennifer LaRosa <Jennifer.LaRosa@CamdenCatholic.org>
Christian service is an integral part of learning and living the Gospels lessons of Jesus Christ. It is also an integral part of the education of a Camden Catholic student. Putting faith into action is essential to the spiritual development of our students and building the Kingdom of God. Seeking opportunities to love those in most need not only allows us to live out the Christian call to discipleship, it allows us to continue the charism of our founders, the Sisters of Mercy, to be “united to God through service.”
The Service Learning Program is now called the Christian Service Program because it is rooted in prayer, action and reflection. Students will be required to complete a designated number of hours each year and complete a written reflection of their service including Scriptural references and knowledge of faith learned in their religion classes.
Students will receive a packet of information at the beginning of the school year with more details as to the requirements and timelines for completion. Christian service is an annual school requirement and students will not be eligible to participate fully in other extracurricular activities and events if they have not fulfilled their service obligations.
Required service hours may be completed anytime throughout the year including the summer. Only half may be completed in service to CCHS and students are strongly encouraged to seek out opportunities of service beyond school. The number of required hours for each grade level is as follows:
Seniors: 20 hours
Juniors: 16 hours
Sophomores: 12 hours
Freshman: 8 hours
CHRISTIAN SERVICE REFLECTION PROJECTS
General Guidelines of what does NOT count under the Christian Service Program
- Family services, such as mowing the lawn or baby-sitting are family obligations and will not be accepted.
- Service performed for a for-profit company will not be accepted unless the for-profit company is engaged in a service project for the greater community.
- Some community service or civic organizations will NOT be approved due to their stance on certain moral issues which are in opposition to the official teachings of the Catholic Church.
- Students may not be away from regularly scheduled classes to fulfill the service requirement, unless it is a school-sponsored activity.
- Normally students may NOT use fundraising for one’s own self-interest for a service project.
As we transition to the redesigned Christian Service Program, verification forms in the prior format will be accepted.
Mrs. Jennifer LaRosa will be coordinating the Christian Service Program. Email <Jennifer.LaRosa@CamdenCatholic.org>